Thursday, September 4, 2008

The more things change...

The more they stay the same.

How many of you remember where you were and what you were doing when you realized exactly how true that statement is?

Okay, so it's not anywhere near as momentous an occasion as 95% of the other events in your life.

BUT, it is an important one.

I've always been under the impression that each new, unique thing you experience, new friend you make, and goal you reach, makes you a better, more well-rounded person. Occasionally, I simply thought to myself, 'Wow!'

But today, I had a light bulb moment. You know, when something so simple, something you never saw coming, blindsides you with a realization so powerful it knocks the wind out of you. Stunned, you find yourself replaying it in your mind while staring absentmindedly, nodding your head. Two things happened this afternoon that finally helped me realize the more things seem to change, the more they really do just stay the same.

Without going into details, I'll say I also realized I'm a better person than I thought I was. In this case, 'better' has two different meanings. But I won't go into detail about that, either. Instead, I'll share a few other thoughts that crossed my mind today:

1. My grandchildren might have grandchildren by the time the Redskins have another winning season.

2. Trashy people will always 'stink' no matter how much they try to cover it up.

3. Just when you thought the past was gone, there it is staring you in the face every time you turn around.

4. There's something special about a person when just thinking about them makes you smile.

5. No matter how far you roam, nothing feels better than knowing you can always go home, even if you're not quite ready.

What can I say? It was a slow day...lots of time to think.

No comments: